Monday, June 29, 2015

M is for Mouth! Tame It!

I'm a pretty good talker.  Ask my mom.  She always says I came out of the womb talking and have never stopped since.

I accomplish a lot by moving my mouth.  I've been a singer and dancer from an early age.  Musical Comedy is my special forte.  I've been a motivational speaker since the 1970s.  I was also a public relations director and spokesperson for hospitals and universities for  more than 20 years. 

I've taught Bible Study for the past 20 years.  Kids through adults....I've taught them all.    

I'm not shy.   My mouth has been a pretty good tool to help others.  

My mouth has also been the single most powerful force of destruction for most of my life.

Flapping my jaws has been my triumph and downfall.  I've accomplished some things with my mouth.  I've also gotten into a world  of trouble.  -No wonder the Bible tells us we need to control our tongues.

With that in mind, I want to share my handy-dandy checklist of Mouth Bible Verses.

Yup, this is a Bible Study. Nope, I don't need to tell you any more than the verses.  

You'll get the point.  Pick the verses which apply to you.  Memorize them.  Tame your tongue.

Or, if you are a flawed Type A gal like me - at least TRY to tame your tongue.  Let's get started: 


Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.
 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind,  but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. - James 3:5-10

Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tonguesdeceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. - James 1:26

Do you see someone who speaks in haste? There is more hope for a fool than for them. - Proverbs 29:20

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. -- Ephesians 4:29

Teach me, and I will be quiet;

    show me where I have been wrong. -- Job 6:24

The words of the reckless pierce like swords,    but the tongue of the wise brings healing. -- Proverbs 12:18


Fools show their annoyance at once,
    but the prudent overlook an insult. -- Proverbs 12:16

Those who guard their lips preserve their lives, but those who speak rashly will come to ruin. - Proverbs 13:3

A gentle answer turns away wrath,    but a harsh word stirs up anger. - Proverbs 15:1

But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander,and filthy language from your lips. - Col 3:8

Set a guard over my mouth, Lord;    keep watch over the door of my lips. - Psalm 141:3


I've collected these mouth Bible verses like I collect sea shells.  Whenever I find a good one, I tuck it away.  I am always in need of a good mouth Bible verse!

I hope you find some great checkpoints in my "Mouth List"

Truth be told, taming our mouths can take us a long way toward better relationships.

Let me know how you do.  Zip me a line at watwelsh@gmail.com.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment