Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Away in the Manger - The Best Christmas Pageant EVER !



 There was a big crowd at church.  Most of them were up front behind the pulpit.  The oldest was probably 17.

The 17 year-old held a banjo.  An 8 year old cradled a cello at his knees.  There were 15 year-olds on violins and 14 year-olds on guitars, flutes, and clarinets.  A sixteen year-old played the  piano.  

What a grand group to celebrate Christ's birth!

"Away in a manger...no crib for a bed..."
 
Down the aisle came  shepherds of five, six and seven years.  They were carrying stuffed animals, cows and dogs and lambs and such.  Mary, nine, and Joseph, six,  came next.

They were followed by a flurry of angels. One angel of five with bright red hair  skipped her way down aisle, cardboard wings slightly tilted.
 
I held the baby Jesus.  He was sleeping peacefully in my arms.  His little white knitted hat had heated him up and he began to fidget a bit.  Mom decided he needed less clothes, so off came his little suit.  Baby Jesus, after all, did not need trousers. A blanket would do.   When Mary and Joseph were in position, I placed the baby in the "manger."  

"Be near me Lord Jesus I ask you to stay...."

Baby Jesus woke up suddenly and began to kick wildly at his blanket.  He eyed his baby toes with fascination and kicked in joyful revelry.  All the congregation could see were two chubby legs and precious tiny toes swishing through the air above the manger.

"He doesn't have any pants on!"  The baby's six year old brother, who happened to be Joseph,  shouted out in glee, finding the sight of his brother kicking in the manger with only his diaper on funny.  Mary hurriedly tried to cover the chubby legs with a blanket.

 It was no use.  Baby Jesus was determined to playfully kick naked legs in the holy tableau.

One of the three kings broke ranks and left the tableau. He climbed the stairs to take his place with his cello. Complete with his crown and flowing purple robe, he joined the orchestra.

"The little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay."  

The orchestra stopped.  Singing angels paused and the tableau departed.  I quickly grabbed Baby Jesus to avoid the bustle of stuffed animals and fleeing shepherds.
   
I loved having Baby Jesus back in my arms - saucer eyes shimmering.  I held him close.
   
What a fantastic worship service!  My heart was full with my visit to the manger.
   
Guitars were strumming, cello playing, flutes trilling and baby Jesus, chubby legs dancing , snuggled in my arms.

I felt truly blessed.  



No comments:

Post a Comment