Sunday, February 15, 2015

Martha - Identity in DOING


It takes one to know one!  The Type A Lady takes a look at Martha 


It's about time I talked about Martha. After all, we Type A women are experts on Martha!  -- Takes one to know one!

Let's check out Martha in Luke 10:38-42. 

Martha invited Jesus into her home.  Oh, goody!  We Type A's love to entertain!  Martha is busy making sure everthing is perfect.  After all, she wants to impress Jesus.

Truth be told, Martha gets her identity in doing.  Sound familiar?  Whereas her job as hostess is an important one, she forgets that, sometimes, even the most important job should be interrupted by an extraordinary Savior.

Mary, Martha's sister, is hanging out, listening to Jesus.  Why isn't she helping sister?  

Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” --Luke 10:40

I cringe when I read this.  How many times have I murmered a similar complaint to God in my mind?  

"Why don't these kids help me?"  Doesn't my husband even 
care?  God can't you help me?"


In Luke 10:41, Jesus talks to Martha in such a tender and understanding way.  I like to think He talks to me in the same way:

"Martha, Martha, you are  worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”  --Luke 10:1:41-42.

I picture Jesus looking deep into Martha's eyes. She is locked in His tender gaze.  Jesus spoke in a way not to reprimand, but to gently coach this Type A woman to do the right thing.  

What a God!   What a Savior!  He speaks to us in the very same way!

Hey Type A's -- are we so busy trying to please the Savior that we forget to sit at His feet and listen?  Are we afraid  to stop and rest in the love of our Savior and find our identities right there?

STOP!  I know you love being certain things...I'm with you: -- head of the committee -- chairman of the project -- super mom -- hardest worker -- wew!  Those leadership positions and hard work are not bad in and of themselves, but Jesus is calling us gently to rest a bit and listen.


"Laurie, Laurie...your sister who quietly rests in prayer  has chosen the better part.  

"Get your identity from ME."

Point well taken, Jesus.  I think I'll stop complaining and stressing and straining and rest a bit in your love.

After all, I am God's Girl.   Case closed:  Positive ID made.

No comments:

Post a Comment