Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Joyful and Triumphant

Type "A" folks tend to go ballistic at Christmas!  

For heaven's sake - Let's simmer down and spend some quiet time with Jesus !  



Joyful and Triumphant

“Oh Come all ye faithful, joyful and triumphant.”

   Defeat.  It’s stuck in my throat. I’d like to swallow it away, but, if I try, I might cry.  I don’t have time to cry.

   It’s 11:43 p.m. Bells and ribbons are still thrown on the kitchen floor where I had hopefully placed them after work.  I was going to decorate outside.  Then I was going to make homemade potato soup.  After all, Taylor just had surgery.  That might help her feel better. 

   The phone rang.  The printer at work refused to print.  I left the bells and went back to the office.

   Now, it’s 11:43 p.m.  Taylor ate instant noodles for dinner. Brad left the office and grabbed McDonalds. -So much for homemade potato soup.
  
   The bells are still on the floor and  I am feeling defeated.  I step over the bells and stand at my trusty computer.  It’s almost midnight.  Maybe I can salvage a news article. 

   Hmmmmm.   My tree is shimmering.  Outside, the smokehouse is rimmed in white lights.  There is a calming glow outside my dark window.    

   Hmmmm. What did I write about last week?  Oh, yes… joy.  I load the dishwasher and contemplate:  Joy.  The crossing guard in last week's article seemed to be so full of joy it splashed out all over the sidewalk. 
  I wonder if her dishwasher is always loaded and her counter is clear of clutter? I doubt it.

   Taylor and Brad are sleeping peacefully upstairs.  Thank you, God, for surgical pain-relievers and treatments that cure.  I know you are all about healing, God.  I’ve got to trust you with that.

    Far away, two daughters are learning the precious dance of marriage. They are  in two very different places, living two very different lives, but the dance is still the same.  The marriage dance is sometimes challenging, one step forward...two steps back.  But the dance is always  lovely….once  you’ve learned the best steps. 

   I look out the window at the deep deep midnight darkness.  Why,  yes!  It is Christmas! 
   Even if the bells are grounded and the gifts are unwrapped and the Christmas girl is weary, it is Christmas.

   A Savior is born.  He doesn’t mind my weary imperfection.  And…defeat ?  That word is not in His vocabulary.  

   “Come,” Jesus says.  “Come all you who are weary (or feeling defeated).” (Matt 11:28)

   I turn off the lights, but leave all the sparkling white strands lit up.  Yes!  It is Christmas !  
   With the help of my Savior, I can be joyful and ...triumphant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment